Is it safe to by an S100?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it safe to by an S100?
In reply to PanaNewbie, Jul 5, 2012

PanaNewbie wrote:

If that were true then they would have recalled the S90, S95, etc...
I suppose better late than never, but they probably only did it after seeing
some bad Amazon reviews scaring away future buyers and figured they
couldn't ignore it any longer

I doubt reviews on Amazon would have much influence on a company like Canon. Seems more likely Canon was motivated by Sony's RX100 announcement, a camera that will likely put a serious dent in S100 sales. Seems too coincidental to me that Canon's lens error announcement came so soon after Sony's RX100 announcement, so Canon decides they'd better do what they could to repair the lens-error-damaged reputation of the S100 before the RX100 becomes available and cut their losses as much as possible.

My opinion of Canon is they respond only to competition once they feel they have the lead in a particular market and my cynical opinion is that if Sony had not announced the RX100 then Canon would not have admitted to the lens error problem and promised to fix it when it occurred. It might be too little too late since the RX100 looks like it might be a much better camera, but the Canon announcement is certainly reassuring to those of us who already own an S100. I suspect Canon is now frantically working on a model to best the RX100. S200?

-- hide signature --

--
My online photo galleries
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow