Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Lightning Storm
Jul 5, 2012

This certainly stole some of the thunder away from some of the local fireworks displays up here in the Portland, Maine area. Saw this odd lightning storm that was just lingering off of the coast and was truly amazing. It was mostly inner cloud strikes and only rarely would they come out and hit the ground or they would literally shoot across at least 1/4 of the entire horizon. Here are some of the better shots I got. I only had a tiny tripod and was trying to balance my 5n and 18200 on a towel on the roof of my car because it was too front heavy but still, the results were pretty cool. I was constantly trying new combinations of settings trying to get the best results as this is the first time Id ever done this.

Also, I have no idea what happened with lightroom. It randomly started to put red squares around the random lights in some of these pics. I couldn't get it to undo it. I still have the originals but didn't feel like going through the whole process again.

Another annoying aspect was as time went on the camera started taking longer and longer to write the files to the card. I have a class 10 sdhc card and for the first half they were lightning fast. For the last 30 or so captures that were 30 second shutter pics it was taking over 30 seconds to "Process" the files. It kept getting slower and slower as I was basically just taking picture after picture with the shutter open. This would be normal I presume? As the shutter heats up it becomes less efficient perhaps?

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow