Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,282Gear list
Like?
D800 HDR technique questions
Jul 5, 2012

I received my D800 a couple of weeks ago and have yet to really take it out for a good test run, but I love what I see so far. I have been spending some time reading through the manual and it seems like there are a couple of ways to do HDR.

When I used my Canon 5DM2 I would lock up the mirror and then used the timer to take three shots. Evidently I cannot keep the mirror locked up with the Nikon and that is probably one of the very few complaints about the camera. It does not seem to make sense then to take three or more bracketed shots in live view. I can set the self timer to 2 seconds and then take three or more shots in a row. Or can I use the multiple exposure feature instead?

I want the least amount of vibration for bracketing shots and my guess is the best way is to just use the self timer and multiple shot setting. I am curious how to you bracket for HDR. It seems like the default for three shots is just one stop over and under, but I think this can be changed. I know being able to do 5 shots can be better but then I am creating really large files and I am wondering if this is needed with the D800 good dynamic range performance. Also it seems like the camera is better and recovering detail from shadows than highlights so do many of you shoot more underexposed shots then the typical good exposure and one under and one over method.

Gary
--
http://www.garystepicphotography.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow