Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
dkadc
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD setting for fireworks
In reply to akalucas, Jul 4, 2012

Handheld or tripod?

Home fireworks or a fireworks show?

For a fireworks show, here is what I suggest.

You need a long shutter speed to catch the trails of the bursting shells, short shutter speeds will result in points of light. Its VERY hard to get it right, because each volley of shells will vary greatly in light output, how much they overlap each other, etc.

If on a tripod (and you should be!) try 200 ISO, f/5.6 to f/8 and shutter speeds of .5--5 seconds.

Watch for a shell to fire and try to time your shot so you get the rising shell and the shell burst.

Chimp a few times to see if you are getting the results you want.

Last year I didn't want to carry my E-30 all day so I used my Olympus 1030 SW. I put it on a tripod, you can check out my photographs and see what aperture and shutter speeds I used to get my results. I shot all of them at 100 ISO, looking back, I wish I had used a smaller aperture, the bright shells often washed out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113682625050005382188/20110704FourthOfJulyAtFortVancouver#

This year I'm taking my E-M5 and 12-50 to a blues festival and fireworks in downtown Portland, Oregon, but unfortunately won't take a tripod, so I'm going to try and pull off multi-second shots with the IBIS (Funny, I know) and maybe shoot some video. The EM-5 is small enough to carry all day, but I don't think I can take a tripod into the venue. As it is, I'll probably have to sneak my camera in since "no recording devices" are allowed.
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

dkadc's gear list:dkadc's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow