SSD in 1992

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
AwkwardSwine
Contributing MemberPosts: 573
Like?
Applied Engineering RamKeeper circa 1987
In reply to dmartin92, Jul 4, 2012

Way back in the late 80's I had an Apple IIGS computer which was amazingly expandable and a hackers dream. One of my favorite add-ons was the RamKeeper which was a battery backed expansion memory card which would be configured as the OS boot volume. If you could afford it, you could pack it with an astounding 4 MB of ram storage. This was effectively the first SSD device for personal computers to the best of my knowledge.

Price: $189 - 256kb ram chips not included

Check out this site for brochures, catalogs, photos.

http://ae.applearchives.com/apple_iigs/ramkeeper/

dmartin92 wrote:

One funny thing about SSDs is that lots of people think that they are something new.

But the first time I ever heard the name "SSD" was in 1992.

At work, in 1992, one day the chief technical IT guy was showing us a new utility program they had just installed on the mainframe. He mentioned that day that they were installing "a SSD" on the system. I asked him what a SSD was, and he told me then. "Kind of like memory, but also like disk storage", is what he said.

Of course, then, 1992, it was probably a $100,000 expense for the company. Maybe more, maybe less, but that sort of number.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow