Yosemite Moonbow 2012

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
MatW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Fabulous shot, hw abt noise?
In reply to pvdk, Jul 4, 2012

pvdk wrote:

What a great shot. I agree the colors and stars in the sky sell the shot. The reflected light on the rocks is great to. I does look metallic.

Reading your text, I understand you used the E-M5 and did a full 60sec exposure.

1/ did you use live view burst to time the exposure? Or how did you calculated the timing?

As stated above ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41935340 ) I did not use live view bulb/timed exposures as they might increase image noise (I have not tested this, but better safe than sorry). I simply used the largest aperture and highest ISO setting available to frame the image, check focus and determine the correct exposure. This allowed for a pretty quick set up without having to wait for the long 60s exposures. When everything was set I reduced ISO and increased the shutter speed accordingly.

The biggest issue really was the focusing, but it was manageable once I discovered that the LCD has much more details in the black levels than the EVF, thus allowing for successful manual focus.

2/ how about settings for noise reduction? and does the E-M5 produces clean images when using that kind of long exposures?

I shot in RAW format and enabled the long exposure noise reduction (dark frame subtraction). It works by automatically shooting and subtracting a second exposure without lifting the shutter curtain when slow shutter speeds are used. If enabled you should get very useable 60s exposures that can take post processing without instantly falling apart. There were also no hot pixels to be found. The only drawback of dark frame subtraction is that it takes twice as long to shoot an image (60s exposure + 60s dark frame).

Here is a 100% crop:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41935416

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow