Record button location/accidental activation and Meta-Bones NEX to Canon adapter.

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IsisPix
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Record button location/accidental activation and Meta-Bones NEX to Canon adapter.
Jul 4, 2012

Just finished the preview of the Sony DSC RX100 and I'm there. I currently own 2 Nex-5N's and a Nex 7. I love both models, and am in the process of acquiring some quality glass for them (I have the Zeiss 24mm and a few others - more please). The wonderful (with minor warts) NEX cameras are slowly and surely replacing my Canon DSLR kit (7D, 60D, and S-95 - Man, I hate to sell that 7D). The reasons for this evolution are manifold, with the Focus Peaking/DMF magnification features being being one of the "must have" features in any new camera body that I aquire.

There is one major inconvenience that all of the Nex series, and now the RX-100 have. The VIDEO REC. button is this culprit. I don't really have an issue with the location, I get that! But, please Sony, make the damn thing assignable to another function or give us the option of disabling it. I can't count the times when I've been shooting stills and suddenly I'm unable to make any adjustments because the record button had been inadvertently activated. By the time I realize what had happened, the shot is gone. Very frustrating.

A firmware upgrade seems like it would do the trick, any ideas?

A NEX e-mount to Canon EF & EFS lens adapter is next on my shopping list. I have some magnificent Canon L glass that is just itching to get attached to the NEX bodies but I'm a little reluctant to buy the Meta-Bones adapter because of the glitches (and the $ 400.00 price) that were reported regarding the initial release of these units. I am aware that the auto-focus does not work when using this adapter, that's where the focus peaking and DMF of the NEX cameras come into play. I can't wait to see the IQ of my NEX7 combined with my Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L zoom. Got a feeling that the set-up might look a bit odd (all lens no camera, especially with the 70-200mm white hog-leg) but who gives a rat if the results are what I anticipate.

Any input on this one would be greatly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Isispix

IsisPix's gear list:IsisPix's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow