Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
C M Greene
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
EF 40mm question
Jul 4, 2012

I just recently received my EF 40mm and went out this morning photographing flowers and insects. This is only the second prime lens I have purchased for my camera (a EOS 60D) -- the other a Tamron 60mm f/2 macro. Normally I use a variety of zoom lenses and have been very pleased. But I decided to give the 40mm a try...

So far I'm very pleased with the performance of this lens, and the STM noise doesn't bother me. Although it has pointed out my need to work on some of my techniques...

Any way, one question -- I notice the lens element does move outward slightly to focus. But I also noticed that when I turn the camera off, the lens does not fully retract to the recessed most position. I can certainly manually retract it using manual focusing. But otherwise when the camera is off, it just stays wherever the last focus point was. Is that how others' copies of this lens operates?

And if it gets pushed back in once the camera is off, is that any issue?

Thanks in advance!

C M Greene's gear list:C M Greene's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow