Sky noise in EM5? You decide (for Marike6)

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,116
Like?
Sky noise in EM5? You decide (for Marike6)
Jul 4, 2012

In the maxed-out thread speculating about Sony being the source of the sensor for the EM5, Marike6 posted a number of images from various Sony Exmor-based cameras and then posted an image from the EM5. Here's the link to the Marike6's post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41938396

I was quite taken aback by how noisy the sky was in the EM5 sample, especially compared to the Nikon D7000 sample. It's pretty obvious that the EM5 sample posted by Marike6 suffers from significant jpeg posterization and other jpeg rendering issues, but it got me worrying whether this was some kind of inherent issue with the EM5 like it is with some other cameras. So, this morning I went out and shot some sky shots and processed them with ACR/Photoshop. The good news is that there really is no problem or, at least, none worse than what I've seen with other cameras including Exmor-based cameras Marike6 referred to. Want some visual evidence for my conclusion? Below is a 400x400 pixel grab from the D7000 shot posted by Marike6 and a 400x400 pixel grab from one of my EM5 test sky shots from this morning. Click on the image to view at the equivalent of 100% in the originals. Can you tell which sampling is from the EM5 and which is from the D7000? (FYI, no tricks like boosted noise reduction were used when processing the EM5 shot.)

-- hide signature --
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow