2.6GHz vs 2.3GHz Macbook Retina

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: 2.6GHz vs 2.3GHz Macbook Retina
In reply to Wojtek Bialy, Jul 4, 2012

I agree with various others that the sweet spot is 2.6GHz/16GB/512GB.

Even if it were upgradeable, you couldn't realistically upgrade the SSD and RAM for the price difference, so you essentially get the 2.6 boost over the 2.3 for free.

You could probably get by with a 2.3/8/256 for 3 years, but 5 years would be pushing it you plan to upgrade OS and Apps as they evolve. I think it would be showing definite signs of choking in 5 years with up to date Apps.

I've gotten by with a 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM and 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo for almost 2 years, but it was a sacrifice made for portability.

However, the ram is definitely too little now and is starting to becoming a bottleneck. 8GB RAM would be okay for a couple more years I think. (5D2 - 21MP, Sony NEX 5N - 16MP, Olympus OM-D - 16MP).

The 256GB has always been constraining as I have around 3TB of meadia I want to be portable, so I'm even considering going for the 768GB options, but it's not good value and I haven't decided on it yet.

Having said that, portable media is getting bigger, cheaper and lighter so I could probably still get by with 256GB internal if I really had to, it's just a case of being organised. More space just means a longer gap before I'm forced to organise myself.

So I think 2.3/8/256 would be comfortable for about 2-3 years, with RAM being the biggest concern (you can CTO to 16GB RAM on the 2.3 for an extra $200 and I'd definitely take that option if going for the 2.3)

I still haven't decided between a new MBP-R or new MacBook Air. I'm on a 2 year replace cycle and I think the new MBA's are about twice as fast as my 2010 model, and now it can be configured with 8GB Ram and a 512GB SSD, which would easily get me throughout the next two years.

I have to check several things out before deciding, so if anyone has any opinions, chip in!

New MBA:

• Screen: Better colour accuracy?

• GPU: How much faster?

MBP-R:

• Heat: I'll be using it in hot countries, I've seen reports of crashes due to heat?

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow