Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Severian The Lame
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks
In reply to Scales USA, Jul 4, 2012

Scales USA wrote:

There are likely patent licenses involved which prohibit free distribution of the software. That is the case and has been for many years with other brands of hardware I've used, including printers and scanners. Nero software uses a licensed codec for mp4, so you cannot just download and install it free.

I don't know what's going on with Canon in this case, but I doubt it's some licensing restriction. EOS Utility 2.11.x will we available for download in August. It's required for the 7D after the 2.0.0 firmware update.

Not all of Canon's "freeware" requires the installation CD. ImageBrowser EX required that a compatible camera be connected via USB to install. (Probably because it was new software that many camera owners never got on their original CDs. I'd prefer this method for all installs in lieu of the CD.)

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow