2.6GHz vs 2.3GHz Macbook Retina

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Re: 2.6GHz vs 2.3GHz Macbook Retina
In reply to Wojtek Bialy, Jul 4, 2012

The 2.6 is faster than the 2.3 (10% faster using geekbench). That's 10% improvement in speed for 30% additional cost, but you also get an additional 256GB of built in ultra fast SSD capacity.

In five years time the 2.6 will still be 10% faster than the 2.3.

In five years time the speed difference between the 2.6 and the 2.3 will probably be much smaller than either of them and the top of the range machines Apple brings out in mid 2017. By this I mean they'll both seem slow compared to buying a top of the range new machine, especially on the GPU front as Intel has huge improvements coming on their integrated graphics.

In one years time the 2.3 and 2.6 will both have slow GPUs compared to the 2013 machines.

In two years time the 2.3 and 2.6 will both have very slow GPUs compared to the 2014 machines.

My advice though: Buy now if you need to but get the most RAM you can, get the fastest CPU you can as neither of these can be upgraded using third party methods of any kind (internal or external).

The 'sweet spot' in my opinion is the 2.6/16GB/512GB model.

Disclaimer: The difference between the 2.6 and 2.7 is tiny and not worth it when you look at the price to performance ratio.... and yet I bought the 2.7/16GB/512 RMBP as it's a per percentage points faster than the 2.7 which will be noticeable when I'm compiling software on the machine even if it's not when I'm running Lightroom etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow