Left AF Problem in D800E (from recent batch)

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vincent__l
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
Left AF Problem in D800E (from recent batch)
Jul 4, 2012

After conducting a more rigorous test, using a methododogy similar to Horshack's, it seems my recent build D800E is affected by the left AF issue. It exhibits the familiar signature of sharp center, slightly OOF right, and poor left AF.

A quick summary of the test conditions:

1) Taped three Siemens star charts to a wall under the left, center and right AF points. Camera was perpendicular to a flat wall.

2) Used 24-70 f/2.8 @ 24mm wide open

3) Tripod mounted D800E with 3s delay

4) D800E was placed 6 feet away from the wall

5) Captured photo of the left, center, and right charts using both CDAF and PDAF. I took 3 pictures using PDAF to ensure consistency. Racked focus between each shot.

6) Used the halogen modeling light from an Einstein strobe set to 250W to ensure adequate lighting for the targets

7) All photos were loaded in ViewNX so that the AF points can be seen. It should be evident that the AF points were adequately exposed to contrast in various directions. You don't need cross type sensors for proper phase alignment of the 360 degree radial detail in these targets.

Top row is PDAF while bottom is CDAF. Columns are left, center, and right AF points. Note that I'm only evaluating the region directly under each AF point and comparing the relative sharpness to the reference CDAF images. Field curvature and lens sharpness are completely irrelevant under these conditions.

Here's a pic of the test setup

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow