Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
X-S1 with the new sensor.
Jul 4, 2012

Got a call from Fujifilm UK on Tuesday 26th June letting me know they can repair my camera and fit the new sensor. I sent it back that afternoon thinking it would be gone for a week or two but to my surprise I got a phone call three days later letting me know they had fixed the dust in the EVF and replaced the lens and sensor.

I asked why they had replaced the lens again seeing as it had supposedly had a new one fitted only a few days ago and was told that they still don't have the the part the sensor fixes too in stock but Fujifilm have supplied them with a lens/sensor unit that comes as one piece. This is not what everyone will be getting when they send in their X-S1's but a one off due to the poor service I have received. Once the part the sensor sits in becomes available they will start asking X-S1 owners to send in their cameras for the sensor swap.

It arrived today, I had my doubts last time regarding the new lens as it had a lot of grime in the fins of the zoom rubber and would creep when pointed up or down. This lens is spotless and there's no lens creep (for now) it's a lot stiffer when zoomed although it does still droop at full zoom. The EVF is clean and clear of any contaminants and there is supposedly the new sensor inside. Why supposedly? There is no paperwork in the box, I can see the EVF and Lens have been done but I have no way to tell if the sensor has been replaced other than taking their word for it.

UPDATE: I have now had an amended job sheet e-mailed to me and can see that they have indeed replaced the lens/sensor and fitted a new EVF.

Did a few quick test shots this evening and I don't have the horrid noise like in a l b e r t s pictures. It's not that obvious to see the difference between the DR100 and the DR400 shot with your eye but as you can see from the histogram it's definitely working as it should.

Shot in manual mode, Size M (6MP) ISO100, 1/4" DR100 - 400, I chose 1/4" because according to the camera the DR100 image was perfectly exposed, although as you can see in the histogram there was some slight clipping of the highlights but by DR400 they were gone.

I'm now looking forward to the sun coming out so I can see how it behaves regarding the specular highlights.

Lastly, I would like to thank Dale Young at Fuji UK for sorting this all out for me, you've been a star. If you're reading this, sorry for all the grief I've given you.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HeheNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow