Should I get the Oly 45mm?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Loga
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
No, Oly 45 is better, no question.
In reply to forpetessake, Jul 4, 2012

I owned a Canon FD 50 1.4 and a Canon FDn 50 1.8, both were blown away by the Olympus 45 1.8, and exactly the way as papillon_65 described. Not to mention that it is smaller, lighter, no need of adaptor ring, and have quick and reliable AF.

However, I don't consider Canon FD's a 'very expensive lens', therefore there might be some 'very expensive lens' that can keep up with the Oly.

forpetessake wrote:

Interesting, maybe you can point to testing results you have done that support those outrageous conclusions? What? No? I thought so.

papillon_65 wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Makes no sense, though I don't have this Pentax, the other 50mm legacy glass I tested is as good or better than newer mass produced lenses. Legacy 50mm lenses are very hard to beat, that was the most popular FL on 35mm format and was perfected through the years. The Canon/Konica/Minolta lenses I tested clearly outresolved the 16MP sensor starting from F2.8-4, and did very well full open. Spend money of something that makes more sense.

There is nothing short of a very expensive legacy lens that will come even close in performance to this lens at F1.8 on an m4/3's camera. Cheaper legacy lenses are softer wide open and suffer from blooming and CA, the 45mm F1.8 beats them all easily.

camrnw wrote:

Hi Folks,

I currently have a Pentax SMC 50mm f1.4 which I've adapted to my OM-D, but have been considering getting the Oly 45mm recently. Simple question for you all: is it worth it to spend $400 on the Oly lens?

Manual focus isn't a concern of mine. However, I would like to get better image quality IF the older lens isn't ideal for m4/3, but I don't feel like I know enough about the differences to properly answer that question for myself.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
HazeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow