PCB Einstein's - go with Cyber Sync or PocketWizard + PowerMC2?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
PCB Einstein's - go with Cyber Sync or PocketWizard + PowerMC2?
Jul 3, 2012

Here's a question, I'm picking up an Einstein, one for now, and I have some choices for triggers. Ideally I'd have manual control of the Einstein remotely at the camera.

I could go with the Paul C Buff Cyber Sync stuff, something like:
Cyber Commander - $180
CyberSync Transceiver - $30
CyberSync Plus Receivers - $90

OR

I could go with the PowerMC2 which gives remote control of the Einstein and the rest of the new line of pocket wizard stuff like:
Power MC2 - $100
MiniTT1 - $200
Flex5 - $200

I guess the Pocket Wizard stuff if pricier, but I get the benefit of using Nikons CLS, and not being limited to PCB's gear for the future, and also for using hot shoe flashes with high speed sync and such.

Do any of you guys/gals have experience with PCB's stuff, is it reliable? I've heard some horror stories of the cyber commander eating through batteries, but nothing about mis fires and such.

As a side, I don't have any nikon CLS background yet, I typically light manually and just trigger dumb strobes. But can I manually set a strobes power, rather than relying on metering? If so I assume it's about digging into camera menus right?
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Nikon D3S Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow