Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
joema1
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: Lesson learned, don't throw discs away.
In reply to GordonAtWork, Jul 3, 2012

GordonAtWork wrote:

Did you throw the manual out too ?

I keep all packaging, manuals, discs etc for any new camera. Makes it more saleable if I ever upgrade.

Most similar items come with software CDs, often out of date. Many times the 1st step is download the updated version from the support web site, not install the packaged CD. For various products, I've had numerous support techs incredulously ask me "why did you install the CD, not download the new version from our web site?" Typically by the time you ever resell the hardware, the software CD is archaic and has no value.

Given this conditioning and common practice of almost all companies providing downloadable utility software, it's easy to understand how some 5D or 1D owners could misplace or accidentally discard the EOS Utility CD. The "gotcha" is the 5D3 and 1DX will only work with the latest EOS Utility (currently 2.11). You can't install an older version and update it to the current version.

In this increasingly atypical situation, Canon doesn't provide the EOS Utility 2.11 as a download, even for new 5D3 or 1DX owners. I'm a CPS gold member and couldn't get it. If you have a time-critical need for tethered shooting -- tough luck.

In some cases Canon tech support will send you a CD -- if they have it. If they don't have it, they won't make one or break into a box to get one -- no matter what.

It is incredible to buy professional camera hardware & lenses in the high 4-figure range and the manufacturer's support group refusing to give you a downloadable utility or send you a replacement CD. It's like buying a new car, losing the owner's manual the first day, and the dealer refusing to get you a new one -- even if you're willing to pay for it. It's not good business.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow