ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
boeckelr
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Is it safe to by an S100?
Jul 3, 2012

Hi -

I am looking for a camera for my Mom's birthday. She wants something small enough to fit in her purse...and I want her to have a decent camera. It will be replacing a 4 or 5 year old compact Panasonic (cant remember the model offhand) that never took good images.

I had it narrowed down to the S100, the Olympus XZ-1, or the Nikon P310.

The Olympus, although small by my standards, isnt compact enough for what my Mom wants (my dad has a Panasonic LX3 and she wanted something more compact). The S100 and the Nikon P310 are a good size for her.

BTW RAW is not an important feature for her. She will be shooting jpegs.

I am leery of the lens issue with the S100....I have read reviews from owners who are on their 4th or 5th S100. I absolutely want to avoid this. I did read the announcement from Canon and know that they are acknowledging the issue and I know that they have narrowed it down to specific serial numbers.

Does anyone have any advice? Are these lens issues endemic to Canon point and shoots? Somehow I remember maybe 10 years ago when I bought a Canon Powershot that some of those models had lens issues also.

All things being equal I would prefer the S100...it has a slightly larger sensor...although I am not sure how much of a difference it will make in day to day use. I almost pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday, but the lens issue made me reconsider.

I know this is a Canon forum...but does anyone have any experience with the Nikon P310? Has anyone here compared the P310 with the S100?

Any help/advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Nikon Coolpix P310 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow