Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 New User Initial Thoughts
Jul 3, 2012

I've been trying to pist this as a review, but the system keeps telling me that there is a link broken - so here goes:

I may update this as I have only had the camera a few days. Bought to replace a Canon 550D, which was my second camera to a 5D Mk 2. I wanted something smaller, lighter and more adaptable to street photography. It certainly fulfills these and image quality is very good - probably beating my 550D. I am also impressed by the autofocus - which seems fast and reliable, ability to handle highlights/shadows, and high ISO performance.

I got it with the 18-55 kit lens and bought a 55-210. Both seem at least OK (first impressions are that the 18-55 is the sharper). It is also very interesting that Sigma is making some prime lenses for NEX.

Camera ergonomics are good and the screen and EVF are good (the EVF is not as good as an optical viewfinder - IMHO).

The camera loses marks for three reasons:

Menu system. This is not good. There is a LONG settings menu, which hides things like turning off the steady shot (when you use a tripod - the lenses do not have switches), and bleep (discreet photography). You can add functions to custom buttons , but not these, so you have no choice but to root round in the menu.

Manual. Sony - come on please - you must have written many of these now. There is a paper starter manual, but the main manual is on PDF. Not good when you are out and about. The manual is also poorly index and explained. EG the explanation for steady shot is where it is on the menu and that you can turn it on and off. Cool. This takes one page and gives no advice - eg should you use it when the camera is on a tripod? This manual is unacceptable on any camera, let alone one costing £1,000.

RAW converter. VERY slow (on an i5 computer with 8GB ram and W7), clunky and does not seem to do conversions properly. Fortunately Adobe ACR handles the files well, but I may struggle getting a profile for the 55-210mm. The Sony software needs sorting.

Overall it is a very good camera, let down by the software - firmware and hard and soft manual. If Sony can sort these out - and these are not the rocket science parts - I would score the camera much more highly (I would give it 3.5 if I could).

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow