ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?
Is pentax on the road to success?
Jul 3, 2012

Hi,

I was speaking to a person who works for Pentax the other day who informed me that the sales of the Pentax Q and the K01 were extremely disappointing for the company and that both products did nothing help the regrowth of sales, especially in the united states and europe. The Q is selling poorly because of it's high price at a time when competition in the compact market is at it's fiercist. The K01 has not capturered the imagination of the public with either it's looks and size or it's lack of viewfinder and it's gereral "lack of charisma"

This is more than disappointing when the company is looking for a greater market share,now that it has the investment of Ricoh.

When on holiday I stopped by at a serious camera store which stocked all makes of camera, the main man last year was a "pentax freak" who it seemed to be 100% for Pentax, on looking around the shop there were Pentax products but no K5s, I asked were the K5s out of stock? No he replied,they no longer dealt with Pentax as their products were lagging behind in sales and the new products, ie the Q and what he refered to as the brick the K01(he had one in stock) just weren't moving,I asked, "but you were a Pentax fan" and he said that he had sold all of his Pentax gear (and he had lots) and switched over to Olympus.

Well there you go! In my opinion it's a lack of market research, it's not listening to the customers or looking at the competition to see where they are going, the form of the mirrorless K01 ,which with a more modern look and a smaller body with a viewfinder,could have been a real winner especially as the image quality is one of the best in it's class! A closer register distance with an adapter for Pentax or other lenses might have given it a great marketing appeal. As for the Q it's a limited market for an expensive "toy".

However, the K30 I think will sell well,it's a DSLR which has many appealing features, WR,focus peaking,great image quality at a realistic price ,which of course is bound to fall. We shall have to wait for the replacement for the K5,lets hope that they get this right!

I know it's cool to think "outside of the box" but the Q and the K01 were maybe to far outside! And ,well the "Marc Newson" designer tag, designer?

Now, with the Nikon D800E chasing at the heels of the medium format market threatening to undermine it,with it's huge range of lenses.
Ricoh,learn from this one.
P.S. I love my K5, but I want Pentax to survive!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Nikon D800E Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow