7d First Shots - Advice on Focusing settings for fast moving!

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cliff Horner
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
7d First Shots - Advice on Focusing settings for fast moving!
Jul 3, 2012

Well, after a lot of reading on here I changed my Olympus E3 system to Canon and purchased a 7d. I have a massive learning curve getting to know the Canon menus and focusing system etc. I have only had the camera 3 days and would like to show a couple of pictures. I am not sure what levels of sharpness etc I should expect or if I even had the camera set right for the type of shots I take!

I mainly photograph steam trains or motorcycle racing. Rightly or wrongly I decided to set the camera on AI Servo with center point focusing, with the theory that I could track the train and fire a burst of shots as it passed.

I have attached two examples from the weekend. To me, the second one appears slightly sharper (or better focused?) The area I am looking at is the text on the headboard. Is the slightly un-sharp text due to it being the edge of the frame/quality of the lens/shutter speed not fast enough or camera shake? Or am I just being picky and expecting to much when I look at the image at 100%? haha

The images are straight from the camera with no adjustments.

Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow