Having a great time with D800

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,333Gear list
Like?
Re: Having a great time with D800
In reply to phoman, Jul 3, 2012

Let me start by saying that I like the mood of this photograph very much. I am very interested in how it was taken and so grateful for the explanation above. She also is a gorgeous model.

I live in rural Hampshire in England, where almost all people are racially white. I haven't really thought about this much, really, until a day or two ago when I saw this photograph

on the Wimbledon site. It struck me was a very good photograph, because in tough lighting conditions the photographer had got the dark skin of the Williams sisters well-exposed and then in addition got sunset lighting up the edges of their heads as well.

This led me to thinking about the challenges in getting good photographs of darker skinned people. Your photograph above has wonderful mood to it and, as I said I like it very much.

However, I wondered if it might have been possible to get it a little better so that there wasn't that strong glow off her forehead or shoulder (presumably from the right hand flash) and yet still reveal her facial features? With less flash, would the background have become overexposed?

-- hide signature --
 msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow