What am I Doing Wrong?

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
Re: What am I Doing Wrong?
In reply to d2f, Jul 3, 2012

OK, I read all the replies. Agree it's not DOF.

You would have needed a really high wind to get anything like that much blur at 1/160 s. That said, it appears that the lightweight branches and leaves are far more blurred than the trunks, and that things far above the ground are blurred more than things close to the ground, other things being equal.

I've never seen an artifact exactly like this one in a single exposure A multi-exposure mode like handheld-twilight with subject movement can produce softening that resembles this in some ways. Things that are in even slight movement get a pearlescent, airy or Ortonized quality about them. Of course you weren't in that mode.

It's interesting that it occurred when you were using speed-priority drive mode, and that may be relevant somehow, but it's not something that a lot of people have seen, because surely they would have complained about it on the forum.

There have been occasional steady-shot stabilization quirks that produced apparent motion blur that was implausible WRT to the physics of what was happening in the scene. None of it looked exactly like this.

This isn't a simple "horsey" thing like DOF or simple motion blur. You're looking for a zebra of some kind -- something that doesn't show up that often.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flint-hill/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow