Processing woes on SD14...uggh!

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
dlj
dlj
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Re: Processing woes on SD14...uggh!
In reply to yvind Strm, Jul 3, 2012

I recall reading that the SanDisk cards actually had a slightly higher rate of problems than other cards (I have some Extreme IV's), so don't run out and buy some without verifying that. I have found zero difference whether using SanDisk cards or not.

I can sometimes shoot 6 frames in rapid succession, and other times not, the only difference being environmental:

higher ambient heat and humidity, camera already warm or hot.

I had my camera checked out for this problem by the national distributor, an authorized Sigma service centre, and it got a clean bill of health. It continues to behave the same way.

(That's why I've been waiting for a weather-sealed body: I finally got to try the SD1m a week and a half ago, and I will be buying it)

I've also tried BIOS changes, different batteries, lenses, pauses, card makes (2GB and 4GB, Fat16 and FAT32), etc.

IMHO, the real issue is a design matter, and I think the best approach will be the 'pink wire fix' or variants (though I haven't done it myself, as my SD14 is still under warranty). I will be doing it in several months.

However, even when I get the SD1m, I will keep the SD14, as its dynamic range and tone mapping are some of Sigma's finest. It's awfully finicky (in too many ways to itemize), but still worth it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow