Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,657Gear list
Like?
Unhappy D3s, D700, D4 & 5DIII owners
Jul 2, 2012

1) Your D3s is a great camera, but 12 MP and the DR are now dated. Furthermore the D800 can EXCEED the high ISO ability of the D3s in post because it retains MASSIVE detail at those settings. Outside of the FPS there is little reason to own the D3s over a D800. The D800 handles just fine with the grip and focuses better. Great camera all the same!

2) Sorry D4 owners, but I find the D4 hilariously overpriced because the sensor is well below the one in the D800 and the video is soft. At that price it should have been a higher res camera, perhaps 25 MP at 8FPS with a lower res setting of 16 MP for faster frame rates. I'd buy a used D3s instead. Great camera all the same!

3) D700 owners crying? Maybe a little. The D700 remains a wonderful DSLR, but it's eclipsed in EVERY way possible (except FPS) by the D800. And remember the D800 can STILL shoot 6 FPS at 15mp with better DR than the old D799. Great camera all the same!

4) We all know the 5DIII owners are upset. But it's really anger at Canon for a sideways upgrade and a tweaked sensor with AF they should have had all along. I own a 5DII so I know! The D800 does pretty much everything better than a 5DIII as well. It's better at high ISO, detail, DR and even video looks better. You have to sharpen every second of the 5DIII video files to make them look as good as the D800. I like the 5DIII quiet shutter. Other than that it's D800 all the way.

I'm sorry again BECAUSE:

5) My D800 focuses perfectly as does all of the ones I've seen (over 20).

6) The D800 IS the best wedding camera ever. It can shoot with the best DR and detail. It can do DX mode at 15MP and 6 FPS and STILL beat the D4 with better DR. It can do 1.2 crop and hit 5 FPS and STILL beat the 5DIII for MP and DR. It's too late to make sad claims that you need 8 or 10 FPS for a wedding! 4, 5, and 6 FPS is fine.

7) My D800 feels awkward just like the D700 and EVERY other body of this type. It needs the grip. Go buy one. This is the only place where I hear even a mention of the handling being an issue. My friends have been shooting for months with the D800 and no complaints...they're pro's of course.

So, in closing about the only issue with the D800 is when you own any of the other lesser DSLRs on the market. That's my view and I'm sticking to it!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow