Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DigitalArt
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
.CR2 to .JPG processing time
Jul 2, 2012

.CR2 to .JPG processing for photographs taken with my 7D is done with Canon Digital Photo Professional v3.10.2.0 on a desktop with conventional 7200RPM hard drives and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor. The o/s is Windows 7 64bit Professional.

In the days of my Canon 400D, .CR2 files were processed to .JPG very quickly on this computer due to the relative lack of data to be crunched. .CR2 files taken with my 7D in full resolution however take between 27 and 29 seconds each to process. I would like to get this much faster (5 seconds or so) if I can, but I don't know what is realistic to achieve or where cost/benefit thresholds are.

Investigation shows that it is CPU that's the bottleneck, this being reinforced with a back-to back test using the same sample .CR2 files on my laptop that also runs Windows 7 64bit (albeit, Enterprise); despite having a solid state hard drive, the Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz processor results in near-identical processing times just a second or so faster than the older desktop.

There will be more to it than simply clock speeds and number of cores, but I am interested to learn what performance other 7D Users are getting when converting from full resolution .CR2 to .JPG, and what their computer's motherboard and CPU is. Please no advice to change resolution, shoot combined .JPG and .CR2 so that I have an option, or be more selective when .CR2 is used. It is simply proven CPU and motherboard advice that I seek to help me decide whether to do anything about improving performance of the task at hand.

Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow