Another EM-5 vs DSLR thread (what would you do?)

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marcello Zini
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
Another EM-5 vs DSLR thread (what would you do?)
Jul 2, 2012

Hi there

I kind of put photography on standby for a few years (no time) and now I'm finally about to get back to it (way more time than before) and upgrade my glorious d70. My interest is general/street photography and small events with careful use of multiple flash.
I have 2 paths to follow:

1. buy a d700 and keep using Nikon gear: flash, Tamron 28-75 2.8 and a few primes

2. buy an Olympus OMD EM-5 + Panasonic 12-35 2.8 to start and eventually the Oly-Pana dedicated flash system which I tried and works well.

If I go with choice #1, I have the advantage of the professional and professional looking tool and the few gear I already own;

If I go with #2, I have the convenience of the reduced size, (people less scared), the tiltable lcd, in body stabilization ecc - but, even with the grip on, it may look too small for formal assignments.

As far as image quality goes I think I could go with either (they don't seem to be that far) and the EVF is not that bad for me.

I know it sounds just like a boring rant, but I'd appreciate a word from somebody who had/has the same doubt

Thanks all
--
...slowly building my gallery at
http://picasaweb.google.com/marcellozini

/\arcello

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Nikon D70 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow