Lens question re: sharpness

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ysarex
Regular MemberPosts: 490
Like?
Re: Lens question re: sharpness
In reply to hotdog321, Jul 2, 2012

The tool that is optimized to do the simple single task will do that task better than the multi-purpose tool.

Ask a lens designer to make an incredibly sharp, color corrected, full contrast lens as close to perfect as possible to photograph the landscape at infinity at a fixed aperture of the lens designer's choice with no concern for cost:

superb performance.

Ask that the lens be able to focus over a range from 2 feet to infinity as well.

Ask that it have a variable aperture and be able to function well over that aperture range.

Ask that the maximum aperture be very fast like 1.4.

You've already asked for enough to compromise performance. Consider this: In the days when the industry still had a shred of integrity Leitz use to sell two lenses for the Leica M3 -- a 50mm f/2 Summicron and a 50mm f/1.4 Summilux. The Summilux sold for $$$ more than the Summicron yet in their advertising literature Leitz actually admitted in print that the Summicron was the optically superior lens. They went on to explain that the compromises necessary to increase the max aperture to 1.4 on the Summilux required some loss of performance and unfortunately raised the manufacturing costs. They made the lens for those that needed it but actually advised in their sales literature that customers buy the Summicron unless they really had to have that 1.4.

Ask that the lens be able to zoom over a range of focal lengths.

Ask that it "super" zoom from wide angle to telephoto -- 20X!

Ask that the lens have macro or near macro focusing capability.

Ask that the lens be small and light.

Ask that the lens not cost $10,000.00

Ask that the lens in fact cost less than $1000.00:

Are you bleep bleepin' serious?!!! And you want it to take pictures?!!!

I use some zoom lenses and I'm very happy with them overall factoring cost/performance. I have Canon L series zooms and they're pretty good, but I have also used that 50mm f/2 Summicron and the difference is real. I've used a 100mm f/3.5 Planar and the difference is real. I've used a 28mm f/2.8 Biogon and the difference is real, etc.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow