5D3 and 1DX are useless to me. What to do?

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
joema1
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct: a step backwards
In reply to tony field, Jul 2, 2012

tony field wrote:

...In AI-servo, the camera is constantly evaluating exposure as well as focus. They cannot turn on the red search light because the exposure system will use that as part of the exposure evaluation...I doubt that Canon can come up with a good fix.

The 5D3 can obviously have AF point illumination on during exposure -- you can do that yourself by:

(1) Programming the AF point control to the joystick
(2) Setting camera to AI Servo
(3) Set AF to single point
(4) Half-press on shutter to start metering

(5) Move AF point with your thumb on the joystick while metering is active. Each successive AF point blinks red when selected.

Each red blink is extremely short -- I'd estimate 50 milliseconds or less. The duration and probably brightness of the blink is under CPU control.

What you do manually, the camera can do automatically, but better.

Rather than manually move the AF point to briefly illuminate it, the camera CPU could be programmed to briefly blink the AF point on AF lock. If metering is active it could be gated out for the moment the light is on. However it's unclear whether the 50 mS blink affects metering at all. If it does they could lower the duration to 20 mS, make it user-adjustable along with brightness, or add a compensation curve.

It doesn't look unsolvable.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D4?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow