If you have perfect/acceptable left AF with D800 and 24-70mm, I need your help

Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
mrwilkins
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Re: If you have perfect/acceptable left AF with D800 and 24-70mm, I need your help
In reply to jonstatt, Jul 2, 2012

I think it's worth pointing out that all the 35mm prime images I posted are quite sharp under normal viewing conditions, which I would call looking at the full frame at a distance such that it covers a 45-60 degree field of view. There's certainly a minor difference at 100%, and for certain applications that might be an issue, but at least with my camera this exercise strikes me as a very contrived test case, since shooting wide open isn't a recipe for critical sharpness for many other reasons related to lens performance and the circumstances under which one normally shoots wide open anyway.

The test images from the OP are more concerning, particularly his assertion that he's tried several cameras that were all as bad. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or maybe there's something about the 24-70/2.8 that brings this issue out?

If I had achieved the OP's results, I'd be just as concerned. My point, though, is that minor variation is likely hard to avoid, and the degree of inspection we're applying to these images doesn't necessarily reflect whether they'd be usable in practice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow