What a difference a lens makes! From 12-50 to 12-60.

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
What a difference a lens makes! From 12-50 to 12-60.
Jul 2, 2012

I am finally sold on the OM5. The kit 12-50 was great for flowers and street shooting but not so good for landscapes where foliage is present. I liked the 12mm end so wanted another lens with the wide end. These forums sure make us want new equipment! I had read the blog on Luminous Landscape so searched for some reviews of better lenses. I concluded the 12-60 would do me for my kit lens. Olympus Australia included the adapter for 4/3 Olympus lenses with any OMD-EM5 purchased recently. A quick check of the internet and I found an "Australian" company that had the lens for $821. Naturally I had to wait for it to be shipped from Hong Kong. Way cheaper than the local stock.

Well, I waited for a sunny day to try the lens out. Gosh, it was way bigger than the 12-50. Especially with the adapter. My first few shots alerted me to the much slower autofocus. It would often hunt for focus but the results are excellent. I use the center area to focus so perhaps it might be quicker using more points.

The heavier and bulkier lens warrants a more secure hand grip so I had to order the optional grip and battery holder. Not that any spare batteries are available to buy!

I walked across the Anzac Bridge in Sydney late in our 'winter' afternoon. It starts to get dark around 5 pm. The setting sun causes the Sydney skyline to glow and change colour over about half an hour. So I wanted to record some of the changes. The 60mm wasn't long enough to zoom in on the World Tower that I have photographed often. So I had to make do with wider images.

The size of the kit, even with the bigger lens, is still small enough to poke it through the side rails on the bridge to get interesting photos of the bridge cables, etc. This is what I did for this photo. I was blown away by the photo I am showing here. It was taken after sunset, handheld. Good colours and heaps of detail. I doubt my 5DII or 60D could duplicate this handheld.

The original unedited photo is here. Well, I straightened it a bit.

http://ovincez.smugmug.com/gallery/23574422_7mhL8R# !i=1939601639&k=jnJ6wtw&lb=1&s=O

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow