Started Jul 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tconnell
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
This Might Just Start an Ugly Bird Contest
Jul 1, 2012

I don't know what has happened here to this Cardinal (Red Bird down here in the south), but it's not the first year we've seen one at our feeders. It always seems to one of the young males also and either their head feathers fall out, or maybe the other Red Birds are plucking them out. For the last three years at least, we've had one that looks like this. Not a pretty sight with all the other families of Red Birds growing up here.

We live in Valdosta, GA near the Ga/Fl line and are in prime summer breeding grounds for the Red Birds and at this time we see sometimes ten to twelve Red Birds on the feeders eating the oiled sunflower seeds and on the ground getting the spilled ones. And the adult Cardinals are always near at hand with some feeding the young birds as they flap their wings to indicate they are still hungry.

One of our three feeder stations a few minutes after I got the shots of 'Baldy'. I guess when I raised the window again, most flew up into the Camphor tree just across the fence.

-- hide signature --

Tommy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow