Started Jul 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,379Gear list
Like?
Is it time to switch?
Jul 1, 2012

As a long time Nikon user I have a decent collection of gear; D300, 24-70 2.8. 70-200 2.8, etc. etc. When I purchased glass I had full intention of upgrading to full frame (at some point) so built my kit around that. That was several years ago, this is now; The majority of my photography is now done while on vacation (with my wife) or just walking around town. Carrying around a "pro" grade body/glass is becoming a chore not mention taking it on flights.

I still love the Nikon "system" and still do the occasional studio work although that been a very minor part of my shooting. Dont do sports anymore as the kids are all grown up.

Some of my options are:

1 - Go ahead and get a D800; still big/heavy and looking at $3500+ for body/grip, plus I'd need an FX WA (14-24 which adds another $2k).
2 - Wait for a "cheaper" ff Nikon; as above maybe $1K cheaper.

3 - Look at selling all my existing gear and moving to an OM-D; a LOT less expensive, gives me a nice small light kit for carrying

Not really interested in getting something like the 18-200 Nikon as a walk around; hated it when I tried one.

I'm not a pixel peeper by any stretch and I do print a fair amount, upto 13x19 for my own and friends. I shoot raw exclusively, dont do video, pp in LR/PS.

I also have no illusion on my skills as a photographer; the D300 far exceeds my skill however I'm certainly not getting any younger to carry yet more gear. I have done some paid work however dont see that as a major part of my future.

Some of my hesitation: Can I live without an OVF? So used to Nikon's focusing and their CLS system; it may be really hard to give that up. Do I hedge my bets on Olympus given whats been going on in their board rooms lately? Is there a fast telephoto option for m4/3 yet or one coming?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading this far! I guess just looking to get some thoughts from people who have made the jump and/or are thinking along the same lines.

As a side note, my first camera was an OM2 and my first digital was an E-10 (great camera that was exceeding frustrating with its speed). Switched to Nikon when the D70 came out.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow