Pentax DA 12-24mm ED AL (IF) Large file

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stof
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax DA 12-24mm ED AL (IF) Large file
In reply to mike703, Jul 1, 2012

mike703 wrote:

Looks like you got yourself a bargain: the Pentax 12-24 is a good and popular lens. It costs about £800 new in the UK (ouch). There is no reason that the performance of a lens should degrade with time unless someone drops it.

Have a look at this:

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/133-pentax-da-12-24mm-f4-al-ed-if-review--test-report

As you will see the lens is very sharp and has a useful field of view. The perspective distortion you noticed when pointing the camera up at a tree is normal - any wide-angle lens will do it. Photoshop elements allows you to correct for it.

The chromatic aberration (purple fringing) that you noticed in your second shot is a known feature of the lens: all lenses do it, some more than others, and it is difficult to correct for in extreme wide angle lenses. The situation in your picture (shooting a silhouette directly against the sun with the lens at its widest focal length and widest aperture) is a real torture test - that set of conditions is precisely what will make CA appear at its worst. In real life shooting conditions you could reduce it by using a smaller aperture like f/8 (and how often do you shoot directly into the sun?). It is easily correctible with a lot of the better post-processing programmes that detect the blue/purple edges and desaturate the colour so it is less obvious. My 16-45 lens is popularly supposed to have a CA problem (i.e. you can make it appear if you try really hard) but in real-world shooting is it hardly ever an issue.

I would pay $600 for one of those lenses in good working order in an instant...

Best wishes

Thanks Mike, feel a lot more at ease now. Desperately needed to defend my purchase with the missus...what's new

Bought the lense from a shop in Johannesburg ZA. Quite a friendly and knowledgeable bunch of guys.

For what it is worth, see link (it is no advertisement!) Remember, the 12-24mm is no more!

http://www.kameraz.com/second_hand.html

Stof's gear list:Stof's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow