RDMPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Re: Cost-effective Ways to Get Macro on Micro Four Thirds
In reply to Melbourne Park, Jul 1, 2012

Melbourne Park wrote:

zucchiniboy wrote:

Hi all,

I could use your collective help here. I want to get a little bit more into macro photography, specifically for some gardening that I'm doing, and wanted your opinions. My lens list is below - right now my lenses range from 0.11x to 0.24x in magnification, and I'm usually using my 45mm 1.8 (0.11x) to take these shots, like this one:

Get a 58mm close up filter set for 10 bucks and stick it on my 40-150mm

Any thoughts, additions, edits, or other comments?

Thanks!

Olympus also make a macro adapter which works on your 40-150mm lens.

Its cost at B&H, is $51, brand new. I assume second hand ones would be cheaper.

Its description:

The Olympus MCON-P01 Macro Converter was especially designed for use with the Olympus PEN Micro Four Thirds cameras. When used in combination with select M.Zuiko lenses, various levels of magnification are achieved. For instance, using the MCON-P01 with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm lens will yield a magnification of 0.4x with Micro Four Thirds and 0.8x for the 35mm format.

The MCON-P01 helps you capture a detailed view of all small, fascinating subjects. Whether you're into photographing stamps and jewelry, or you simply want to take a closer look at the world around you, this converter lens is an economical addition to your PEN, or otherwise compatible set-up.

Macro Beauty

If you like to take pictures of flowers, insects or stamps - or anything small - then this converter is right for you. Using your existing lens or lenses, you can extend the range of your PEN to take stunning macro-style pictures with impressive detail and interesting perspectives
Compatibility

Fits your M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II, M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 and the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6
Lens Combinations
Master Lens M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 (Focal length set to maximum tele position recommended)

Focusing Range: 0.42-0.57m; Magnification: 0.47x (Micro Four Thirds) 0.94x (35mm format)

This guy has the best suggestion for you so far, without knowing more about what you already have and like to use in equipment. Its the smallest and simplest solution. and the cheapest compact solution. There are cheaper but not as compact.

I personally love using manual focus legacy lenses for macro work. I have and awesome legacy lens that I mostly use for Macro. Its a 55mm 1:1 macro that I purchased for $15 USD. If you already have a legacy adapter or two , I would say go look for a used macro lens that fits your adapter for less than $20.

But its hit and miss on the used market when it comes to finding bargains. The prices of certain lenses fluctuate. For example the bargain $15 lens I purchased and spoke of earlier, I have not seen selling for less than $150 anywhere.

SO for a Fast and simple solution I would really consider what Melbourne Park wrote.
--
Dan

RDMPhotos's gear list:RDMPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow