Started Jul 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
My summary of the AF issue
Jul 1, 2012

After reading 4567 threads here, this is my summary.
Can anyone point out if I have made a mistake or left something out ?

The correct test is VF vs LV, far left point middle point and far right point. A well lit Nikon D800 box (white label side) is good enough at 2m and max aperture.
If an AF fine tune adjustment solves all points then you are fine.

If the AF fine tune requires large values then IMHO its worth getting it recalibrated.

If any VF point is different from the respective LV point (LV should be in focus, so AF point looks out of focus) on one out of the three (typically the left one) then you have a misalignment which needs the new procedure at the service centre.
Note that lenses 50mm and above don't display this, just wide angle.

See Ming Theins list of lenses that have issues when alignment is out on his blog.

My serial number is 6002* and was bought in the UK
My 60mm f2.8g is fine

My 35mm f1.4G apparently and typically has noticeable field curvature, so the left and right are not as good as the centre on both AF and LV. I have been told this is typical on this lens. However my left AF point is slightly worse then the right on AF (perhaps 1 notch in the Jeffreys chart) so I will probably send it to a service centre at some point.

That being said I only use the centre point in real life, which is tack on, so doesn't effect my pics.

Best rgds

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
btwNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow