Wireless remote for D800

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,808Gear list
Like?
Pixel RW-221
In reply to elliotn, Jul 1, 2012

elliotn wrote:

I've had a couple of these cheap wireless remotes for my D700, but I found both of them performed erratically.

Perhaps it was not the same "cheap wireless remote". I have nothing but good things to say about the PixelRW-221 or the (similar) Phottix Plato, for example.

And I could never figure out how to use them for long exposures ('B' setting).

Bulb is supported by the Pixel RW-221 (and others). If you are interested, there are numerous product reviews and demonstrations on youtube.com. Just search for "pixel rw-221" (or "phottix plato", if you have one of these).

And I prefer to keep my hotshoe free for a wireless flash transmitter (Elinchrom Skyport).

If the flash shoe is occupied, this is no obstacle to use of the Pixel or Phottix remote shutter releases. If you are like me, you will let the receiver simply dangle from its cable (the Phottix Plato receiver weight but 70g). If you cannot bear to let the receiver simply dangle, then drape the receiver over the lens or over the camera body. After all, the whole rig is mounted on a tripod, correct?

For all these reasons the RFN-4S is appealing. I'll try buying it from Amazon.de.

The RFN-4S is a nice unit, judging by customer reviews.
As for my 3-years old Phottix Plato -- it simply works.
--
Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow