Does this have the Foveon look?

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Yes, no, who cares at that level?
In reply to nico1974, Jun 30, 2012

Hi Nico,

I have taken some time (15 minutes) to take a look at your photo and some of my DP1 pictures that are somewhat comparable. Thus, I can only compare to the old Foveon though...

• Your image shows an incredible amount of detail.

• There is no CA at all. The corners are sharp. This lens you are using is fantastic. It runs circles around the DP1 lens of my current DP1 (the two former ones were better sigh ).

• The image shows some noise that I don't like. You can see it in the sky and in the shadows. A DP1 at ISO100 can do better than that.

• The dynamic range is amazing - which very much reminds of that DP1 look that I like.

• Your image is not pixel sharp. Yes it is sharp (on the boundary of oversharped) and there is a lot of information in every pixel (more information than in my DP1 Foevon pixels), but I fail the see structures that cover a single pixel. The cables for example always cover more than a single pixel in width. Does it matter? Hell, no!

To sum it up: I'll immediately trade my DP1 to whatever created your image. Deal?

Pixel sharpness is cool. Yes, I like it. But in the end, the sharpness of the pixels does not define the quality of the image. You definitely have the gear to produce breathtaking pictures. Don't worry about the Foveon look.

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow