5D3 and 1DX are useless to me. What to do?

Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cyrano
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
5D3 and 1DX are useless to me. What to do?
Jun 30, 2012

I just tried using a 5D3, and am very depressed. The new LCD-based display of autofocus points in the 5D3 and 1DX (which makes them black, not red) is awful for my intended use, shooting dance.

In many dance productions I've shot, the entire scene is dark: the dancers' costumes, the stage, the backdrop, and the house. In such conditions, these small black AF spots will be completely invisible.

Using automatic AF point selection is not an option, given the DOF for my shooting conditions, and the need to focus on a specific dancer among many nearby.

My 1D4 has served me well, but it won't last forever; given the use it has seen, it may well be approaching wearout. I was also looking forward to improved AF performance in low-light, low-contrast situations that the 1DX might provide.

Now I realize the 1DX I have on order is crippled, if not useless, for much of my most important work -- and new 1D4s are not to be found, as the model is discontinued.

I'm at a loss on how to plan for the next production season. Canon has no body which is suitable for my work.

What would you do?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D4?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow