Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,134Gear list
Like?
Underwater Housing for GF3 $120 WOW !!
Jun 30, 2012

Hello Forum, just got the newly released underwater housing, like everything else in this world is made in China. It ended up costing around $134.00 landed. If you think about it, it is close to what a plastic bag costs !!.

My impressions are quite okay, not a Nauticam ($2100) or other fine housing quality level but then again I only go diving or even snorkeling 3-4 or so times a year, so I can't justify it in my mind spending that amount of money.

This housing is pretty much the same quality as a Canon or a Panasonic housing that these manufacturer sell. It comes with an extra O ring, that is nice.

When I got it I almost flipped to see no space for the pop up flash to open, just a few mm , thankfully I tried and the flash does shoot, so perhaps it will be able to set off my strobes with my fiber optic cable.

The bad news is that I believe the housing was designed for panasonic kit lenses only, I tried several olympus kit lenses and nope, the only lens that I have that fit is the 20mm panasonic. Immediately I said.. oh no, I will get vignetting as this housing was designed for kit lenses , apparently. Well the good news is that it only slightly vignettes on wide vistas and not close up, and even then, very little.

The other thing is that it has no mechanism for zooming if you have a kit zoom, therefore you must decide before closing the housing what focal length you want to use. Bummer.

By the way, first ever housing that I buy that does not come with Silicone grease, it is an "option". The operation manual is quite nice, Chinese english if you know what I mean.

The housing is super small as is the GF3. For the price, you can't beat it.

Hopefully I will be able to test it pretty soon, obviously like any housing, one must test it without a camera, then with the camera, but very excited about this.

The manufacturer is coming out with a variety of housings, I hope they make one for the EM5, that would be awesome.

I will try to post photos of the housing soon, at this time Dpreview has some issues with their servers and I can't upload photos.

Best regards,

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow