ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,240Gear list
Like?
Cheap ultrawide - 12/2.0 versus a defished 7.5
Jun 30, 2012

Hi guys,

I've been shooting quite a lot with the Olympus M. Zuiko 12/2.0 recently, but have increasingly found myself wanting to go a little wider. The two most obvious lens choices are problematic in that the Olympus M. Zuiko 9-18 does not go as wide as I would like, is not terribly sharp and costs more than $600 for a plasticky body, while he Panasonic 7-14 does go nice and wide but is even more expensive at $900 and is a bit too heavy and bulky for my liking.

So, what to do?

For a mere $299 shipped I today managed to get my hands on a metal-bodied super-sharp Rokinon 7.5 fisheye. "A fish?" I hear you say, "They distort like crazy!" Yeah, but now with all this new-fangled modern technology we can run those wonky images through de-fishing software to straighten out all those lines.

So here, ladies and gentlemen, are my first test shots with the 12mm versus the 7.5 (both shot in Raw, with the 12mm converted to jpeg using normal Camera Raw settins and the 7.5 de-fished using a "rectilinear" preset):

I believe that the "rectilinear" preset was developed by our very own kenw, so I should give him an honourable mention.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities here. The 7.5 sure goes one hell of a lot wider than the 12mm, even after being spun through the software wringer. For 1/3 the cost and 2/3 the weight of the Panasonic 7-14, I think we might be on to something.

What do you guys think?

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow