Backing up Solutions-Help Needed

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?
Just make your "offsite" the cloud and be done
In reply to MtnGoatJoe, Jun 30, 2012

Personally, I'd forget the carting around of drives offsite and having to remember when to swap them. People rarely remember to do it nor do they stick to the schedule. I have better things to do than remember that's it's July 1 and I have to drive over to my remote location with my drive do do the swap.

Do two things:

1)Have some backups onsite, which backup regularly (as many as you want). This has been covered ad nauseum, but basically, make sure you have a couple copies of your stuff locally via time machine and you probably want a bootable drive too (via Super Duper or Synchronize X Pro or other Carbon Copy cloner or whatever)

2) backup to the cloud, or to a remote computer

The cloud backup alternatives are the way to go. My favorite is Crashplan, but backblaze and others (Mozy, carbonite, jungledisk etc.) are options. Crashplan lets you backup to Uncle Ernie's computer too, no matter where it is, for free (another offsite alternative)

See the thread above and related posts
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=41904593

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow