Started Jun 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pete_CSCS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,945Gear list
Like?
For the first few years...
Jun 30, 2012

... of the Olympus DSLR history, Oly used Kodak CCD sensors which helped Olympus develop a reputation for rich, saturated, punchy colors. These included the E-1, the E-300 and the E-500. When tihe E-330 (the world's first DSLR with liveview) was being designed, the CCD couldn't handle liveview so a CMOS IC was chosen as the image sensor made by Panasonic (then Matsushita).

A Kodak CCD was chosen one more time for the E-400 but with liveview used in every camera, the Pany image sensors have been used since.

The Olympus Truepic image processing engines have tried their best to take the cooler CMOS colors and replicate the warmer Kodak colots. I believe Olympus has done a better job at achieving this than the Pany cams have.

Olympus SLR forum members still argue over the differences in the two sensors.

Are you using Auto WB?

• This is a reply to Mike's thread. My phone likes to start NEW threads when I click Reply.

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it, ))
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow