Now that the Sigma DP2m has a launch date and price

Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Now that the Sigma DP2m has a launch date and price
In reply to birket, Jun 30, 2012

DP2m vs. X100 is one of the comparison arguments that I almost think can't be made. They both have such different applications and strengths. And despite their different-but-not-wildly-so focal lengths, I feel like they're both fantastic tools to have in your bag if (big if) you've got the money (I don't).

Think about it...if you were a serious photographer in the 80s, your "lightweight travel kit" might have comprised something like a Yashica Electro/Canonet/Konica S compact rangefinder for everyday shooting and, say, a Fuji G690 for when you had the time to set up a real landscape/cityshape shot and wanted that medium-format quality. Now you'd have the X100 to replace that compact rangefinder - great IQ, fantastic high ISO performance, reasonable performance - for every day stuff, and the DP2m for those moments where you know you'll want to make a really large print of something. It really is like having a medium-format camera that you can stick in a jacket pocket...replete with slow operation (well, we'll see I guess) and a need for real deliberation and care in shooting if you want the most detailed possible results. But the results look incredible for landscape photography so far.

Of course, if it cost $700, it would be waaaay more appealing as an extra option to have in the bag. $1000 is "primary camera" money and I think you've got to have pretty niche needs to make a DP your primary camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow