DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 29, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

A good price has its advantages - both if you want to buy the camera, but also if you wish that the camera shall be a success. $1000 is a bit high for a simple compact camera. A bit high. Its seldom a good idea to put yourself just above what people are prepared to pay.

The vast majority of people looking for a camera will simply use their cellphones. We are seeing the end of the dedicated mass-market point-and-shoot:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/26/Nokia-808-Pureview-41MP-smartphone-coming-soon

There will always be a small (very small) group of diehard photo enthusiasts that refuse to sink to the level of the cellphone camera (no matter how good it might be) and these are the people Sigma, Leica, and so on will satisfy.

The mass-market point-and-shoot manufacturers such as Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc have seen the writing on the wall. This is why we are seeing so many more premium choices from them lately.

Only my fringe opinion of course.

Finally, my opinion is that Sigma did a good job with the pricing of the DP2M: Less than Leica X2, about the same as Fuji X100, more than Canon G1X, and less than half the price of the SD1M, which does not use live-view sensor-based focusing found in the DP2M. A good aim by the financial archers at Sigma I think. Any non SD1/M owner ought to jump at it, as well as numerous semi-disappointed Leica, Fuji, Canon, and Nikon owners. Sigma might easily sell thousands of these, while the cellphones meanwhile sell by the tens of millions....
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Dp1MNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow