Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jarvis393
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?
Impact of UV filter on sharpness of shot
Jun 29, 2012

I photographed a kitchen yesterday that my cabinet shop produced.

The shots were taken on a tripod with a Canon 5dmk2 and 24-70L lens. They were shot at 7.1F stop @ ISO 320.

Ordinarily I shoot these tethered to a laptop so I can see what is going on but yesterday I just relied on the little screen on back.

The images were pretty good when I looked at them on the computer albeit not as sharp as I expected. I used auto focus mostly and dialed the lens in until it beeped at me. There were only a couple of shots that the lens could not find enough contrast to lock onto so on these I switched to manual focus.

THREE QUESTIONS (maybe more later)

I keep a UV filter on the lens, not so much for UV protection as to merely protect the glass on the L lens from being scratched. I forgot to remove it for this shoot.

1) Does keeping the UV filter on the lens create diffraction that would contribute to a lack of sharpness?

Also, what is the best approach to AF selection?

2) When shooting with auto focus should I let the lens be in charge of AF points?
(i.e. have all the red AF points lit up)

3) Is selecting a particular AF point only for when the lens is set for manual focus?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow