Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
D800 Best Wedding Camera Period!
Jun 29, 2012

Okay, I've already shot two parties with the D800 and let's get some nonsense out of the way.

1) The D800 files are NOT too big. Your computer is too small. I'm using a quad core i7 Mac with 16 gb ram and all is well and VERY fast. HD space is CHEAP to add. I'm sorry to rehash the obvious, but 12 mp is OLD technology and was on it's way out when the 5DII hit the market. You can also shoot smaller files with the D800 if you're a working pro starting out and saving for a modern computer.

2) It's in the details! Those big files mean that you can pull gold from shots by cropping and then cropping more. You can't pull that off with a D3, folks. I've already ended up with more than a dozen keepers because I was able to crop heavily. Some were throwaway shots where I didn't imagine I'd end up with anything. But the D800 allows you to dig INTO a composition.

3) Is everyone on drugs? Weddings and events are very often OUTSIDE and last time I looked we get something called sunlight to deal with. The D800's much improved dynamic range is one of the key improvements wedding shooters were hoping for. Not only are weddings often outside, but the main players are usually wearing black and white! In the Sun! This alone makes the D800 an obvious wedding-win over every other DSLR on the market.

Summation

The D3 or D700 or D3s offer no advantages at a wedding, except maybe if the bride decides to pole vault and then you night prefer 8 FPS. The D800 has significant advantages and the only issue is selling your TRS-80 or Commodore 64 and upgrading to a proper post processing platform. I think a lot of people spend a lot of cash on cameras and lenses and then expect their old desktop to hobble through. A good photography system includes a very fast computer and the best screen you can afford.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow