Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jenbenn
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
5d III focussing not for large aperture lenses
Jun 29, 2012

On Tuesday I walked into a large photo store in Frankfurt Germany. Noticing that canon had a promotion desk in there with several 5D MArk III, I inquired with the Canon rep about the new 5D MArk III.

I told him that I had problems focussing the 85mm 1.2 with the outer focus points of my 5d II. (The points are not very precise and often fail to focus completly). I then asked him whether the outer Af point of the MArk III were any better, since I dont like the focus-recompose technique with the centre AF-point very much (you often loose focus when moving the camera).

His answer was NO! He told me that neither Canon cameras nor canon lenses were build to be shot wide open. No AF system could focus a 1.2 lens precisly. Therfore all lenses needed to be stopped down by at least two stops to correct for the imprecision of the Af system in order to produce usable results.

When he added that shooting a lens wide open also leads to "asthetically unpleasant photos anyway" I was sure that this guy was obviously not an expert.

But is he right about the focussing and AF system on the Mark III?

The only reason for me to get the new MArk III would be if the outer focus points were fully usable and as precise as the center point.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow