Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vincent__l
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
D800E Left AF Point Seems OK
Jun 29, 2012

I have not had time to do a detailed analysis yet. However, a quick and dirty check shows the far left AF point to be working reasonably well. I used a 14-24 f/2.8 set at 16mm wide open. The target was a large black and white box with large fonts placed 15' away. The D800E was on a tripod with a 3 second delay.

I began by manually focusing the lens using magnified LV. This gave me the baseline distance for optimal focus as I trust my own eyes. I then autofocused with LV and, as expected, the distance agreed with the one from manual focus. Finally I used PDAF and the distance also more or less agreed with the distance from LV and manual focus. However, while multiple shots with LV seemed to cluster around a very tight range of distance, PDAF seemed to have a lot more variation in the distances. Fortunately the scatter of distances were still tight enough to be within the DOF. Perhaps this may not be the case for the 24mm f/1.4 but I don't have that lens.

I'll do a more rigorous test when I have more time between photo shoots. Although this issue does not seem to be batch related I know people will ask so my serial number is 30031XX.

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow