Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,775
Like?
X10: New sensor vs. old sensor evaluation
Jun 29, 2012

Fujifilm Germany exchanged the sensor of my X10, they did not exchange the camera. Unfortunately they also did not address any of the other issues I reported and send demonstration shots in (even while they asked me to send in the cam for one of these other issues before).

• According to RawDigger the maximum raw clipping level has not changed, the maximum of both sensors is 3837. So full well capacity seems to be the very same.

• The new sensor is still blooming some, but far less so than before. This may or may not allow for more gentle gradations, which depends on the image content and surrounding area around specular highlights.

• DR 200/400 (especially HR DR) still adds a dark outline border around those blooming/clipping areas that feature a more distinct border. This is a particularity of DR 200/400, though, and can also be seen on other things like twigs in front of blue sky. The shape and gradations of the new sensor's specular highlights may also help alleviate this.

Here some comparison shots (Originals provided):

Two more observations: Out-of-camera JPGs do not correct purple fringing. That last 1 second exposure time shot was done hand-held.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow